Chapter Library

Last updated 25th March 2009 
Name of library  Chapter Library
Address  The Vicars’ Hall Undercroft, The Cloisters, Windsor Castle, Windsor, Berks SL4 1NJ
Telephone  01753 848725
Fax  01753 848763
E-mail  archives@stgeorges-windsor.org
Website  http://www.stgeorges-windsor.org
Alternative names The Dean and Canons of Windsor 
Contact & Job Title  Dr Eileen Scarff, Archivist and Chapter Librarian
Purpose & main user community of the library  Mainly serves serious students
Terms of access  By appointment
Opening hours  M-F 09.30-16.45
Disabled access  Special Collections disabled access
Lending to other libraries & visitors  Will lend to other libraries in exceptional circumstances. No personal lending facilities
Number of volumes  5,728 (early printed books)
Periodicals – Back Issues  
Current Periodicals  
Other materials  Mss (partial catalogue, J.N. Dalton The MSS of St. George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, 1957); maps; plans; microfilms of music mss.
Volumes added per year  
Coverage  Theology of kinds purchased and read by the Dean and Canons between 1481 and 1751. 75% of the volumes are theological
Special Collections  
Manuscripts  Library mss described in Ker “Medieval mss in British Libraries”; archives of the Dean and Chapter as above; illuminated registers of the Order of the Garter
Research resource  Biblical commentaries; English theology, mainly C17; collecting policies and growth of the library C15-17
Catalogue Type  Printed
URL of catalogue  
Other facilities  Photocopying, microfilming, internet access, online services
Full Time Staff  2 (archivists)
Part Time Staff  
Voluntary Staff  1
Changes in next five years affecting the above  
Anything else about the library